hether it’s done in the shop or on the job site, accurately cutting sheet goods usually requires a table saw and often a helper to lift heavy sheets on and off the saw. But there isn’t always a spare employee available, particularly these days, when many formerly busy contractors are glad to take on any one-man job they can get. So if you’re outfitting custom closets, applying MDF paneling to a dining room, or trimming down replacement doors, a portable panel saw can make your job a little easier. When you don’t have to lift a sheet onto the saw top, slide it over outfeed tables or strategically place roller stands, and wrangle the resulting two pieces back down to the ground, the benefits of using a vertical panel saw become obvious – especially if you’re a one-man operation.
Crosscuts on large sheets were never a specialty of table saws, especially for the compact models usually taken to job sites – but crosscutting is a perfect job for a panel saw. Shaving off a quarter-inch to true up a factory edge is no problem for these tools. Rip cuts on a panel saw are easy as well but require consideration of the fact that the material above the cut rests on the blade. To help with this problem, we recommend the saws have a riving knife that trails the blade to support the cut off piece.
Safety Speed Manufacturing offers a few options for people who are looking for a portable panel saw. The first model is the Panel Pro Pro2K which is a very economical saw. This home hobbyist saw makes it easy to handle those big sheets of wood or plastic and cut them accurately – horizontally or vertically. One operator can cut large sheets of material into finished sizes or into sizes that are easy to handle for further processing. You are then able to store it away with ease when not in use. The functionality and portability of the Panel Pro means you can use it in your shop or take it right to the job site.
Free Dust Kit: Dust is the unwelcomed but inevitable by-product of sawing and routing wood-based panels, plastics and other materials. Safety Speed’s Dust Kit is a simple, yet effective engineering solution for capturing dust at the point of tool contact making for a cleaner and safer work environment. The Dust Kit connects a vertical panel saw or panel saw/router combo to an existing dust collection system or to a double-filter vacuum with a 20-gallon capacity or to a 55-gallon drum. The kit includes a 10-foot flexible hose that incorporates rollers and other components to keep the hose connection clear and freely moving with the machine’s power unit
(1) Heavy duty 15 amp saw motor
(1) Integrated dust bonnet
(1) Thin material pressure guard
(1) Zinc plated 1-3/4" steel guide tubes
(1) Quick change from vertical to horizontal cutting
(1) Horizontal ruler and vertical rulers
(1) Spring loaded counter balance
Technical Data + Specifications
Maximum Cross Cut: 50"
Maximum Rip Cut: 96"
Maximum Board Thickness: 1-1/2"
Accuracy: Within 1/32"
Motor: 15 Amp 120 Volts
Saw Blade Diameter: 7-1/4" Included
Benefits + Features
- Includes Free Dust Kit
- Upgraded motor designed specifically for the Panel Pro
- Ergonomically positioned operators handle
- Emergency stop switch
- Low voltage regulatory switch
- Dust port allowing for easy connection to a dust collector
- Lower and upper frame extensions adding additional support for full sized sheet processing (optional)
- Dust kit which includes a hose rollers dust tube and steel elbow (optional)
- One person sawing that is easy and accurate
- Cuts both vertically and horizontally
- Vertical design takes up less space in your shop
- Lightweight for portability to the job site
- Saw blade is completely enclosed and behind the panel when cutting
- Folding stand allows for easy storage taking up minimal space
- Ready to assemble in under 30 minutes
- Cuts a wide variety of material